Purpose of this blog

This blog is my attempt to change the way I look at events in the world around me. I have found that most of the news headlines I see everyday on my computer almost seem designed to inspire fear or anger or depression or doubt. When I study and ponder the Holy Scriptures, these negative feelings fade away, replaced by feelings of wonder, amazement, peace, joy, love, hope.

Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Variation on Psalm 23

Louisa Mauss Christensen is my wife's great-grandmother. The following poem is a humorous and clever way of refocusing our attention on where it should be. It is so easy to lose focus--to begin to believe that the Government is a more important factor in our lives than the True and Living God. The Lord, with whose "stripes we are healed" and who took upon himself all our griefs and infirmaties, is our Salvation from sin and sorrow. With those obstacles removed, we can be free to act with power (the Lord's grace will attend us) which will serve to enable us to perform difficult tasks successfully. However, if I don't allow the Savior to take my sins and sorrows upon himself (meaning that I don't turn to Him in true repentance), I will remain as though there had been no atonement made and I will remain in misery, looking for someone else to deliver me--to save me.

Louisa Mauss Christensen wrote this poem during Franklin D. Roosevelts time as president. History doesn't start anew it just circles around to confuse us.



The Government is my Shepard.

I need not work.

It alloweth me to lie down on good jobs.

It leadeth me beside still factories.

It destroys my initiative;



Yes, tho I walk thru the valley of laziness and deficity spending,
I will fear no evil, for the Government is with me.

Its doles and its vote-getters, they comfort me.

It prepareth a Utopia for me by appropriating the earnings of my children.

It filleth my head with bologna,

My inefficiency runneth over.



Surely the Government shall care for me all the days of my life,

and I shall dwell in a fool's paradise forever.



Louisa Mauss Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stat Counter