Purpose of this blog

This blog is my attempt to change the way I look at events in the world around me. I have found that most of the news headlines I see everyday on my computer almost seem designed to inspire fear or anger or depression or doubt. When I study and ponder the Holy Scriptures, these negative feelings fade away, replaced by feelings of wonder, amazement, peace, joy, love, hope.

Monday, November 2, 2009

Barriers to Happiness

I recently read an article about happiness on WebMD.  The author listed 6 barriers to happiness and I saw in each one a direct correlation to counsel found in the scriptures.  I will comment on each of these in different posts.

1.  "Complexity in your life is a barrier to happiness".  This can be true or false depending on how one understands the commandment "Thou shalt have no other God's before me".  Other Gods are entities, objects, passions in our lives that capture our affections in such a way that they are not subjected to the power and authority of the one true God.  Complexity is a natural part of life, and its relationship to one's degree of realized happiness is based on the elements of the complexity and the purpose for which those elements are employed in one's life.  If the elements of one's complexity are arranged around God and establishing His Kingdom and righteousness, complexity can lead to great happiness.  Anyone who has ever done anything good or worthwhile in this world knows that complexity is not inherently a bad thing -- rather it is a natural phenomenon that must be confronted and managed by anyone who hopes to accomplish something extraordinary.  For example, a recent book entitled "Team of Rivals" discusses Abraham Lincoln's Presidency and the group of individuals he surrounded himself with and with whom he led the broken country through the turbulent years of the US Civil War.  I'm sure that bringing former rivals into your close confidences as the President of the United States led to some complexity in managing affairs of state.  However, due to President Lincoln's character and particular skills, developed and honed through years of practicing Christian principles, he was ultimately able to help establish the framework for a unified country.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stat Counter