Purpose of this blog

This blog is my attempt to change the way I look at events in the world around me. I have found that most of the news headlines I see everyday on my computer almost seem designed to inspire fear or anger or depression or doubt. When I study and ponder the Holy Scriptures, these negative feelings fade away, replaced by feelings of wonder, amazement, peace, joy, love, hope.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Key to Happiness

I was listening to a BYU devotional address this morning called "What do you expect?  A Key to Happiness" given by Jeffrey Larsen.  The title intrigued me because of all the personal study I've been pursuing for the past couple years about happiness and success in general.  The prophet Joseph Smith said that happiness is the object and design of our existence and will be the end thereof if we pursue the path that leads to it.  Brother Larsen spoke about perfectionism (maintaining false expectations) as a great barrier to happiness.  I was also recently reading Elder Robert D. Hales' address from last General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in which he spoke of Jesus' statement in John 17 that "this is life eternal, that they might know thee, the only true God and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent".  Elder Hales said that gaining this true knowledge of God would lead to our greatest happiness.  I am trying to make all the connections in the principles of happiness.  Here is what I see in correlating these statements from these three individuals:  The path of happiness must consist of doing things that will help me come to know God and must help me maintain accurate expectations.  Furthermore, pursuing this path must help me get along well with people and be positively productive in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stat Counter