Purpose of this blog

This blog is my attempt to change the way I look at events in the world around me. I have found that most of the news headlines I see everyday on my computer almost seem designed to inspire fear or anger or depression or doubt. When I study and ponder the Holy Scriptures, these negative feelings fade away, replaced by feelings of wonder, amazement, peace, joy, love, hope.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Nearer, My God, to Thee | BYU Vocal Point ft. BYU Men's Chorus





We were reading in the Book of Mosiah in the Book of Mormon tonight for family scripture study.  I love the chapters 2-5 as they are such a good study on the Atonement of Jesus Christ and how its power can work to change and heal hearts.  It also helps shed light on the plan of salvation in general.  I was able to administer a Priesthood blessing to Eric tonight.  He came home from scout high adventure camp today feeling very sick.  He went to bed early and asked me to administer a blessing. I felt prepared, I felt that my heart was clean and it felt so good.  In the blessing, the feeling I had was that Eric would be completely healed when he had learned what Heavenly Father wanted him to learn about the atonement of Jesus Christ.  It felt so right at the time.  I don't know much about God's ways and means, but I know about other people's experiences and I believe their testimonies about how God can work.  I do know that there is good and there is evil in this world and that I can choose the good over the evil.  I also know that the more often I choose the good over the evil, the more sharply attuned I am at recognizing evil and more committed I am to avoiding it.  I am up late tonight and listening to good music.  I am hoping that my anxiety for my meetings tomorrow will be minimal.  I feel anxious because I feel uncertain about my ability to help people.  I feel that my whole existence is meant for helping people come to Christ and I know how much I fail at that because of my weaknesses, my fear, my pride.  I have thought a lot about pride and really feel that all of my sins and weaknesses can be traced to pride.  I also was reminded today about the importance of persistence.  The 30 day rule was brought up in a podcast I was listening to.  When you do something everyday for 30 days it will become a habit and soon it will be harder not to do the thing than to do it.  I'd like to start this blogging habit.  It is a therapeutic activity for me and a revelatory experience -- maybe those are the same thing.  My heart is sort of crying and rejoicing and is a little tense or something.  As I am listening to this wonderfully pure music it speaks to my heart and opens a door.  I yearn to connect with the music.  I once imagined that I could sort of make the music part of my cells, part of my being, that my life could sort of proceed on a certain frequency or modulation of some sort that matched everything I feel when I listen to good music.  I should be able to live a live in harmony with  those feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stat Counter