Purpose of this blog

This blog is my attempt to change the way I look at events in the world around me. I have found that most of the news headlines I see everyday on my computer almost seem designed to inspire fear or anger or depression or doubt. When I study and ponder the Holy Scriptures, these negative feelings fade away, replaced by feelings of wonder, amazement, peace, joy, love, hope.

Saturday, July 2, 2016

The Atonement of Jesus Christ -- healer+pain reliever

I was thinking the other day about how the atonement of Jesus Christ is like that anti-biotic + pain reliever cream you put on a small cut.  The name of Jesus Christ provides the key to accessing the protective and pain-relieving power of the atonement.  Believing in the name of Jesus Christ, to me, means believing that He is who He said He was and who others proclaim Him to be -- the Son of God, born of a virgin -- and that He has power unseen to the world and immeasurable by worldly means.  It means believing that He did take the pains, sins, sicknesses, infirmities, and afflictions of every kind upon Himself.  Believing these things can change the way I view other people and interact with them.  It can change the way I choose to live my life.  Life, for everyone, includes pain, sin, sickness, infirmity, affliction.  As we experience these things, we sometimes become more interested in and attracted to solutions -- coping mechanisms -- that are contrary to the teachings of Jesus Christ.  If we persist in these coping mechanisms, we will find a certain measure of relief, but not ultimate peace and healing.  It is difficult to express what I feel and I am sensitive to the fact that I don't know everything -- I have not experienced every life, every tragedy, every pain, every feeling -- and it causes me to hesitate many times in sharing what I so firmly believe.  It is not easy for everyone to believe as I do partly because their life experiences have affected or shaped them in ways that are important to them and they have their own firmly held beliefs.  I cannot judge them for their beliefs nor comment on God's purposes in their lives.  I can only share my interest in them and try to live as I have indicated -- being directed by the feelings that flow naturally from my belief in the name of Jesus Christ.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has produced many videos that attempt to teach, inspire, and encourage people in believing the the name of Jesus Christ, I have included one of those videos here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stat Counter